Amfikleia is built in the NE side of Parnassus.The history of our city begins from the prehistoric times up until the present day.
In prehistoric times, Amfikleia called Ofitia as we learn from the ancient traveler Pausanias.
Following settlement in the area of the ancient tibe Phoceans and Dorians, the town renamed to Amfikaia, as Herodotous mentions. Amfikaia was one of the most important cities of Phocaea.
After the 2nd Phocean war in 346 BC, Amfikaia again destroyed, this time by Philip of Macedonia. Later followed by a resolution of the Amphictyony Board, the residents were allowed to return to their city and the city was renamed to Amfikleia again.
Amfikleia is a compaound word and means famed, glorious place.
Amfikleia during the post-Byzantine times lost its political freedom from the Franks. During this period the name Amfikleia disappears. Instead the toponymy Dadi is used. Dadi comes from the Italian word dado which means cage. Likely to mean enclosed landscape.
In 1915 the then called Dadi regained its ancient epithet ie the todays name Amfikleia by the law ΔΝΖ 4057 1912.